Oral Hygiene Routine not just involves brushing our teeth. We need to follow certain routine to keep our teeth & mouth healthy. Here are some of them we must follow:
- Start with an overall holistic approach: Whatever is good for our overall health will be good for our oral health. Make positive lifestyle choices. Plan for regular exercise, have a good sleep routine and find time for rest and relaxation.
- Eat well: Reduce your carb intake. Bacteria on the teeth will feed on the sugar from carbs and cause further damage. Reducing carbs will take food sources away from bacteria. – be wary of fruits with high acid content as these can damage teeth. – minimize junk food.
- Tooth brushing: Select a soft bristled toothbrush. – use a fluoride toothpaste. – hold your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle pointed towards the gums. – Brush for a minimum of 2 minutes. – Brush all the surfaces of your teeth (the sides and the chewing surface on top). – brush your teeth twice a day.
- Floss your teeth once a day: make sure to floss the teeth at the back of your mouth too. – use 45cm of floss. Wrap each end around your fingers and gently lower it in between your teeth. – follow the curve of your teeth to avoid damaging your gums. – This will remove plaque from behind your teeth and in areas your brush cannot normally reach.
- Clean your tongue: You can use your toothbrush. Place toothbrush as far back as is comfortable and move forward. – Use can also use a designated tongue scrapper.
- Regular Checkups: Regular dental visits for check-ups and cleanings. You can try our Preventive Dentistry Services OR You can call us at 03 9874 2300.
Oral Hygiene Routines: Signs of success
- Gums are pink and do not get sore of bleed when you brush or floss.
- Teeth feel clean and not “fuzzy”.
If you follow above oral hygiene routine you will have healthy teeth & fresh breath.